ATN Exchange Details
From AccessText Wiki
Textbook File Exchange Library Available With Premium Membership
AccessText Network publishers have authorized us to allow schools who have student-ready alternate media of complete textbooks in PDF, Word, DAISY, KESI, braille (embossed or electronic), and MP3 formats to exchange those files with other member schools.
Schools who contribute 25 or more files to the Exchange receive 12 months of access to the Exchange for free. If you contribute 50 or more files in one 12 month period it will count towards one additonal year only.
Making Requests for Exchange Files
- You can also watch the Exchange training video here: Requesting an Exchange File 1.5
- If you are not a current member of the Exchange you will not be able to save your Exchange request.
Essentially this is the same as making a request for a Publisher File, but there are a few differences. Not all files will be available for an exchange. You will notice whether or not a file can be exchanged when you view a title record.
Under the Add Request button is a box called Exchange Files Available. This shows you the format and contributor of available files. There may be multiple files under this section.
You can find more information about each file by clicking view. This window will show you even more information such as, File Source, Tagged, Bookmarked, Headings, Page Numbers, E-Braille Formatted, DAISY Format, Digital Rights Management, & Notes.
Once you click Add Request you will be directed to the Add Request page. Follow the same process as making a Publisher File Request by entering the required information indicated by the red asterisks. Remember to enter your Authorized User Name as well as Exchange for the Request Type.
Once you select Exchange a new box called Media will appear requesting the type. Since there could be multiple files in the system, be sure to select the correct file from the drop down menu. Now fill in the rest of the page as before and click Save.
The exchange may be approved automatically or be pending approval from the publisher. This depends on the publisher’s preference. Your Primary Contact’s email address will be notified once the file is available for download.
We can accept files for books by publishers who have agreed to participate in the Exchange. Currently, those publisher are:
- Cengage Learning
- CQ Press
- F.A. Davis Company
- John Wiley & Sons
- Lynne Rienner Publishers
- Pearson Education
- Springer Publishing
- W.W. Norton
Submission criteria for Exchange files
- All files being submitted must contain the complete text of the book. Please do not submit partial books or chapters.
- Books should be the most current editions. Please do not submit books that have been replaced with newer editions.
- Please do not submit books that were custom printed for your school.
Guidelines for PDF
- Files will have the text of the book in selectable format, either from the source file or by OCR.
- Files will be tagged with standard PDF tags to reflect the major divisions of the book and one or more levels of sub-sections as appropriate to provide useful navigation.
- Files will be Bookmarked with standard PDF bookmarks to reflect the major divisions of the book and one or more levels of sub-sections as appropriate to provide useful navigation.
- Files will have the appropriate language setting made.
- If the original file source was a publisher file, pages will be cropped to remove any extraneous markings.
- The page numbers as displayed in Acrobat will reflect the physical page numbers of the book.
- Tab order is set to ‘use document structure’.
- File size should not exceed 25MB per individual file.
Guidelines for Word
- Files will have standard Word heading styles applied to reflect the major divisions of the book and one or more levels of sub-sections as appropriate to provide useful navigation to the material.
- Images in the text that are not captioned will have appropriate ‘alt-text’ added. ‘alt text’ should begin with “Image starts.” and end with “Image ends.”
- If additional files are used for supplementary material, an explanatory note should be included.
- File size should not exceed 5MB per individual file.
Note: publishers may not approve titles for the Exchange if they were custom published for your campus or are in a custom bundle of products.
If you are interested in contributing DAISY, Braille, KESI or MP3 files to the Exchange, please email email@example.com
How to Submit Files
Upload an individual file within the application
From the dashboard, search for the ISBN of the book you wish to contribute. If the ISBN is not in our system we cannot accept the file at this time. When you have located the book title record, click on the button labeled ‘Submit a File for Exchange’, which will open a new webpage. This button will only be available if the publisher is participating in the exchange'
Confirm your email address by entering it in the box and clicking ‘Submit’. This must be the same email address you use to login to AccessText. A small Java program will then load on the same page.
Use the ‘File’ link to locate the file, or drag and drop the file from your computer to the box on the webpage. By clicking on file, and then select files you open a directory to your computer's documents. Choose the file that you want to add ...click on 'open'. The upload starts automatically. To drag and drop the file from your computer, drag it from your desktop to the box on the screen. The upload starts automatically. You can upload a single document file or a single zipped file, if the book is broken into multiple files.
- You cannot upload multiple unzipped files for one book.
- The program will upload the file and a confirmation message will appear. You can now close this webpage.
- The program will let us know a file has been submitted.
Mail multiple files on a CD or DVD
You can submit files by mail by burning them to a CD or DVD and mailing it to:
AccessText File Exchange
512 Means Street, Suite 250
Atlanta, Georgia 30318
Please include a spreadsheet or other listing that gives the ISBNs of the books being submitted.